The combination of sweet citrus, orange blossom honey and grassy Datil peppers provides the perfect compliment to fried seafood in this delicious taco recipe.
- 2 lbs. white fish fillet (like pollock, basa, flounder, cod, haddock or similar) or shrimp
- 1 package of Louisiana Fish Fry (i.e. available in most supermarkets)
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 8-10 flour tortillas, 8-10 inches in diameter
- 1 bottle Fat Cat Florida Sauce Citrus-Datil Pepper Blend
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rings
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream or crema
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded cabbage or lettuce
Heat oil in fry pan over medium heat until temperature reaches 350F or oil sizzles well after dropping a little fry mix into it.
Cut the fish fillets into nuggets about an inch and half in length and width, give or take. Dredge in fish fry, shaking off excess, and fry in oil until golden brown and slightly crispy on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels when done.
Note: Fry fish in batches so as not to over-crowd the pan and ensure crispy end texture. If doing in multiple batches, keep cooked fish warm on a plate in an oven set to 160F until ready for use.
Warm tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds or until flexible and then spread out two over a plate.
Top tortillas with cabbage/lettuce, set fried fish on top, then include one slice of avocado and top with some tomato, onion, cilantro.
Finish with a drizzle of sour creme or crema and top with 1-2 tablespoons of Fat Cat Florida Sauce Citrus Datil Blend.
Makes 8-10 tacos in all, serves 4.